Origins of VMFG
The origins of the VMFG* go back to the early 1930's when a small group of glider pilots joined together and began operating at a number of different sites around Melbourne. In September 1944 a public meeting was held resulting in the formal beginnings of the club.
First operations were conducted in a paddock at Mordialloc, however when the airstrip at Berwick became available in 1947 the club moved there and Lord Casey became a patron of the club. After a period of consolidation at Berwick, which saw the club come of age, the airstrip (Casey Field) became threatened with development of residential areas adjoining the field.
In 1962 the V.M.F.G. moved from Berwick to its present site at Bacchus Marsh, where improved climate and conditions has resulted in continued expansion of the club's fleet of gliders, aircraft and workshops into one of the best equipped non-commercial clubs in Australia. Bacchus Marsh has provided the capability of striking out inland for long distance flights, with flights of over 750 km having been achieved.
Have a look at our gallery for pics from our history. Check out the fashions, cars and the amazing aircraft flown by club members.
*VMFG – The original name of the club is Victorian Motorless Flight Group, a name which in itself indicates our early origins. As a link to our past Victorian Motorless Flight Group has been maintained as the club's official name, and for a number of years we have operated under the shortened version of VMFG.
The continued development of Bacchus Marsh by the three gliding clubs located on the aerodrome has extended facilities to include a shared clubhouse, with accommodation, shared hangars and most recently the establishment of the Australian Gliding Museum's workshop and storage facility.
Importantly, in conjunction with the local power flying school and the shire of Bacchus Marsh, the aerodrome is now under local ownership which has secured tenure for the future.